Echo Methodist-Episcopal Church

Echo Methodist Community Church, Echo Oregon
Home > Attractions > Echo Methodist Church

Echo Methodist-Episcopal Church

National Register of Historical Places
21 N. Bonanza Street
Echo, Oregon
Info: (541) 376-8411

The Echo Methodist-Episcopal Church was built in 1886 on land donated by J.H. & Cynthia Koontz. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. The church is a New England-Style Church with gothic and craftsman elements.

Before the church was constructed, services & revivals were held in a grove of trees called Spike's Grove, located south of town in a Cottonwood Grove along the Umatilla River owned at the time by Elvira Teel and later her daughter and son-in-law Elmer & Pamela Spike. The first minister of the new church was Rev. H.F. Williams, L.D.

In 1910 the Koontz family donated more land and a wing was added to accommodate the growing congregation. The old tower was removed and a new, larger tower with crenelated top was built which, with the added wing, resulted in an asymmetrical building. Two large windows were modified with an arched top light.

PHOTOS AND MEDIA

Photo and Media Galleries

Our interactive photo and media galleries bring historic Echo to life in crisp and vivid detail.

Echo Methodist-Episcopal Church, Echo Oregon

Click below to to view the gallery which contains images included on this page. Browse our Galleries' home to access all images.