The City of Echo is now hiring for six month seasonal position to work in the Public Works Department. Please see below on details of the position. If you are interested, please email [email protected] and we will send you an application. This recruitment will stay open until filled.
For more information, please call 541-376-6038 and talk with Dave Slaght, City Administrator.
City of Echo
PUBLIC WORKS Utility Seasonal (6 Months)
($14.50 -$17.50/ hour)
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Entry level position under direct supervision of the Public Works Director and/ or Public Works Supervisor. Performs a variety of unskilled or semiskilled maintenance work and operates a variety of tools and equipment in operations of repair for the maintenance of City water, sewer, street, parks and facilities. Work may be performed with independence after routine is learned.
Works under the supervision of the Public Works Director and/ or Public Works Supervisor.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to:
1. Will assist other PW staff in repairs of water meters, streets, drainage systems, and sewer system at frequent intervals to ensure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly. Reads and records water meters as required. Responds to complaints from citizens regard utility services. Assists PW staff with all aspects of city utility system maintenance and repairs as needed.
2. Performs all aspects of grounds and parks maintenance throughout the city.
3. Examples of, but not limited to: Paints or stains structures, benches, tables, signs, trash cans, barricades and fences; cleans up work areas; installs sprinkler heads and timers; performs rough carpentry; operates chain saws and other power and hand tools; operates light equipment such as tractors and riding mowers; Assists with installation and major repairs to sprinkler, irrigation and water systems using various type materials, sprinkler heads and time clocks; performs maintenance and repair work on park structures and equipment using skills in the crafts of carpentry, masonry, plumbing, electrical work, small equipment repair and welding. May operate a variety of equipment as needed.
Other important duties and responsibilities
1. Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
2. Perform other duties as assigned
· Basic understanding of equipment maintenance, ground’s maintenance and irrigation.
· Current Drivers license
· Perform heavy manual labor which entails frequent lifting and carrying of heavy/bulky items such as construction materials, bags of cement, jack hammers, picnic tables, pesticide sprayers, backpack blowers, and full garbage cans which weigh up to 75 pounds.
· Operate and use hand and power tools.
· Perform a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled tasks, which require manual dexterity such as dismantling and repairing sprinkler heads.
· Follow written and oral instructions.
· Read tape measure.
· Maintain accurate records.
· Interact effectively with others.
· Perform a variety of semi-skilled and unskilled tasks in the construction, maintenance, and repair of park facilities, grounds and equipment.
· Read and interpret written reports and directions.
· Perform preventive maintenance and minor repairs to power tools and vehicles as directed.
Desired Minimum Qualifications and Training Guidelines
Education: Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent.
6 months to 1 year of experience in grounds maintenance, or construction or a related field.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works regularly in an outside environment in all weather conditions. The employee works near moving mechanical parts, pumps, open areas of raw wastewater, and is regularly exposed to wet and/ or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and vibration.
The noise level in the work in environment is usually quiet in the office, but is moderately loud to extremely load while working around assorted equipment outside.
The physical demands described here represent those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in both field and office settings. Outside work is required to complete daily, weekly, monthly, and annual routine operational tasks. Also, must be able to work outside to complete various inspections of land use, construction sites, or public facilities. Hand eye coordination is necessary to operate various equipment, computers and other types of activities in the course of performing the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand and walk, use hands to finger, feel, operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, hear, and smell.
The employee must lift and/ or move up to 75 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.