Fort Henrietta Park
National Historic Oregon Trail Site
10 W. Main Street
Info: (541) 815-1475
Fort Henrietta Park is located on Main Street (State Highway 320) adjacent to the Umatilla River. One of the few public access points to the river in several miles is in the park. The park was named for the Fort Henrietta Militia stockade which was located across the river from the park site in 1855-56.
The National Park Service has listed the park as a National Historic Trail Site because it was a campsite and river crossing for Oregon Trail emigrants. The river ford known, as the Lower Crossing (Pendleton was the site of the Upper Crossing), was located at the south end of the park. The crossing was also used later as a stage and freight road.
The park includes several historic displays including a covered wagon museum and antique fire equipment museum. The museums are unmanned with push button recorders that provide information to visitors. The first Umatilla County jail is in the park as is a replica blockhouse. Interpretive panels provided by the National Park Service and story boards with information on Echo history are also located in the park.
The park includes a small RV Park and campground, playground and skatepark.
Fort Henrietta Park was developed in 1988 on a parcel that had been a community eyesore for several decades. It had originally been the site of the Echo Auto Garage. After the building burned, the site was abandoned. Many years later, the concrete walls were bulldozed and pushed toward the river. A small amount of dirt was placed over the concrete. As a result, developing the park and establishing the lawn was challenging.
A photo showing the park soon after its completion stands in stark contrast to the shady oasis the park is today.
Fort Henrietta RV Park and Campground
Fort Henrietta RV Park offers low rates, (starting at $20 per night for tents and pull thrus; starting at $26 for RVs/Campers) for campers visiting northeast Oregon. The Park is located in an historic and scenic setting along the Umatilla River. The park lies adjacent to the city's Fort Henrietta Park. Seven spaces are complete with electrical, sewer, and water. Two pull-thrus offer water and electrical.
Across the street and one block east is the Sno Road Winery and about 5 blocks north is the Echo Ridge Winery. Bothy Winery/Tasting Rooms/Event Centers are located in historic buildings which the owners have beautifully restored.
Interpretive panels, two museums, historic buildings, and an antique farm equipment display are within walking distance. Oregon Trail ruts, historic cemeteries, and a 9-hole public golf course are just a short drive away. For additional information, contact camp host John at (541) 815-1475.
Photos & Media
Our interactive photo and media galleries bring historic Echo to life in crisp and vivid detail.
Click below to to view the gallery which contains images included on this page. Browse our Galleries' home to access all images.